Cut the War Budget for a Green New Deal
Support a conversion from a weapons economy to a climate-saving economy
The U.S. military budget is 3 times that of Russia’s and China’s combined,
and therefore can be cut in half without sacrificing national security. *
The $717 billion annual military budget is a threat to our national security because:
1. The use of these weapons creates enemies instead of reducing them;
2. All the wars of the last 60 years have been wars of aggression, not defense; **
3. The U.S. military is the world’s largest single generator of climate changing emissions;
4. The U.S. wars for petroleum keeps us using fossil fuel instead of renewable energy;
5. The manufacture of weapons burns up over $300 billion worth of oil annually;
6. U.S. encirclement of Russia and China threatens peaceful trade and prosperity for all; ***
7. A planned $1.7 trillion upgrade of nuclear weapons makes them more likely to be used.
8. The profiteering U.S. war budget is an attack on the health and security of everyone.
We need jobs in clean energy, not more weapons
Maryland is a perfect example of a warfare economy since the export of Baltimore’s heavy industry.
The best jobs are now at the National Security Administration, Fort Meade, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Fort Detrick, Andrews Air Force Base, Edgewood Arsenal, Indian Head Naval Surface Warfare Center, U.S. Naval Academy, National Guard and Air National Guard, Army reserves, school ROTC, JHU Applied Physics Lab, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed-Martin, Fairchild, Raytheon, and hundreds of sub-contractors – all having bosses and workers who support military expenditures.
The U.S. is responsible for the deaths of 20 million people in 37 countries since WWII.*
The 2 existential threats to continued life on earth are “climatastrophe” and nuclear war.**
Tell politicians to prove they are not being bought by weapons manufacturers. Tell them to cut weapons production and support a Green New Deal instead, which employ more workers per Federal dollar spent than does weapons-making. ***
Baltimore Peace Action
Since February, we displayed banners over JFX saying:
"U.S. Out of Syria"
"No War on Korea"
"Stop Israel Killing Protesters"
"No War on Iran"
"No War on Russia"
Bannering is viewed by 7,200 motorists per hour during rush hour. It is videographed for social media as an example of what can be done nationwide. So let’s start a movement! email us if you want to help.
For our first action, we held a “Korean Olympic Truce Celebration” on Feb. 9, 2018.
It was held at a high motorist visibility location during rush hour. As announced in the newsletter, we passed a torch, held signs and banners. had a slide show on nuclear weapons and watched the Olympic opening ceremonies on TV.
Here are two short Youtube videos of our demonstration:
1 minute 47 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ln0fpGp_tk
38 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VId2DL-8jfY